1. I suck at it. 2. People who are good or even just reasonably okay at sport will tell you this doesn't matter. That they don't care if they win or lose, it's just fun to play.
3. Except when you really, really suck at it, it isn't fun to play. It isn't fun because you never catch or hit a ball. You always got picked last (or second last) at school. People used to say "hit it towards Lili, she'll never catch it". And because even if it's just fun backyard cricket, you feel like you're letting your team down. Because you just can't do it. And it isn't fun.
4. I'd like to not-suck at sport, but it isn't going to happen, and I'm okay with that. I'll stick to Wii sports and solo exercise.
5. And mini golf, which I'm surprisingly okay at.
6. I've been reading a very interesting book called Teenage by Jon Savage, about the pre-history of the teenager (the book finishes in the 1940s). And it mentions using sport in British public schools in the 19th century as a kind of military training ground. That encouraging that fanatic team loyalty and need to win was just teaching these 12 year old boys how to be good soldiers. To adhere mindlessly to "rules" and to never question whether you're on the right side or not. This creeps me out.
7. Not that there's anything wrong with you playing sport. It's just when it stops being sport and becomes more than a game. Then I start to get a bit antsy.
8. I like the cricket (to watch). And the Olympics. And I find football culturally and historically very interesting, even if I'm not that excited by the game itself (and especially not excited by the seventeen million "After the Game" football related shows clogging up my television).
9. But I guess, at the end of the day, I'm just not very sporty.
The odd boy lay down by the football field Took out a slim volume of Mallarme. The centre-forward called him an imbecile. It's an odd boy who doesn't like sport.
Sport, Sport, masculine sport. Equips a young man for society. Yes, sport turns out a jolly good sort. It's an odd boy who doesn't like sport. -Bonzo Dog Band